Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hello all! This is my first attempt at an update on our little household since we moved to Fort Benning, Georgia, right outside Columbus. I've been meaning to begin this for some time, but getting settled in has taken time and energy and also, I was searching for the perfect website name....but now I've decided to simply get started and let you all know what's happening in our lives here at our 1st post!

This week has been a busy one, Louis is in-processing to Infantry-Basic Officer Leadership Course (I-BOLC, pronounced just as it looks, with a small "e" sound between "L" and "C".) He was given paperwork last week to the tune of "You will be expected to be in formation at 0450 am, if not earlier, each morning and don't expect to be home until after 2100 all week." Sounds dire, but it actually has been much more relaxed, although the guys have a lot of paperwork to complete, along with testing. Monday morning he showed up and was made platoon sergeant (temporarily). Apparently its an honor that a different lieutenant gets bestowed with each week. In that time you're responsible for the 40some men underneath and disseminating information so that all arrive to their designated areas on time, with the correct paperwork. Its a learning process so Lou comes home each day with new stories, some funny, some not so much!

Yesterday the men underwent medical testing and had blood drawn, went through the water testing phase. This part made me curious, since I am hydrophobic! Well, maybe not really so but I do have a tendency to panic and thrash about when I swallow more than two or three mouthfuls of water. Lou has been taking me to the pool at the aquatic center here on post where we swim laps- or rather he swims laps and I attempt the froggy stroke until I realize my sinking is greater than my floating strokes and immediately doggy paddle to the end of the pool, thankful to be alive! Haha! Well, the pool starts at 5f and goes to 12 and we always seem to start our laps on the 5f end. So, back to the water test. The guys put on all their gear and weapons-iron soled boots,packs, etc and climb a high dive- then they walk to the end with eyes closed, fall off and have to swim back without losing their gear. Makes me tachycardic just thinking about it! :)

We have had a good two weeks to get settled in at Fort Benning and begin learning our way around. We live here on post in Perkins Village, a group of 1960 era single story brinch ranches that have been cookie cut from the same mold x 100. Our house is much larger than our Christiansburg one and its been wonderful to have all that space. It does have the dubious honor of having been painted at least 50 times- so the interior is a creamy yellow-white, very nice in the lamplight. The most unusual thing about it is the flooring.......end to end vinyl tile. Its like being in a grocery store at times....however the cleanup is very simple and I have great plans for finding some priceless handwoven rugs, at the thrift store, of course and carpeting it end to end! :) I have discovered the thrift store (very important outpost :)) library, post office, commissary, post exchange, and even been able to navigate some off post and find my way back to Benning! The commissary where we buy all our groceries is a great place, although they do keep the temperature somewhere in the "lower Antarctica" zone. I keep my coat on the entire time or shiver and shiver and wish I hadn't left it in the car! The prices are great though, for the most part. I was able to get chicken breasts for 1.55/lb on my first trip there and that made it all very exciting! These wonderful baggers bag all your groceries, push them to the car and load them-but you must remember to tip them. We didn't know about this our first time, so the second time I asked the bagger and was mortified to find out we stiffed the last guy. However, we did mention that it was our second day at Benning on the trip to the car, so hopefully he's forgiven us and chalked it up to ignorance, not Northern snobbery! :)

The post exchange is similar to a non-super Walmart and has good quality items, like their beautiful line of retro blue and white Martha Stewart dinnerware and serving dishes. I saw them and was immediately tempted to change my kitchen theme all on account of the ceramic bunny,chicken,duck, and some other cute little animal porcelain napkin rings.....but common sense won out in the end. The post has wonderful deals on crystal and Coach-but if you're not in the habit of buying those items regularly, you still can't bring yourself to take advantage of the $80 serving plate-crystal, down from $158! :) But the manager specials are fun. The not so professional loudspeaker comes on all crackily and a woman announces, as she bounces back and forth from talking with co-workers around her- that an "extra 75% off will be taken in the next 15 minutes on party mix, stale candy canes, and other holiday extras". Then, there's a mad dash for the 2 aisles she directs the customers to and women and men alike grab 2 gallon tubs of cheese puffs mixed with pretzels, now only $1.32. Its so fun to people watch-and get in on it yourself at times!

I am enjoying life here, but missing you all back home very much. Lou and I think and talk about you often and pray for God's blessings on you all. We were able to visit a Presbyterian church here in Columbus this Sunday and were very encouraged by the sermon and the people there. They were warm and friendly and were having fellowship after the monthly communion service, so they invited us to stay and eat. It seems as though it will be a good place to call home while we're here.
V/R/yours
Kim

3 comments:

  1. HI Kim & Louis! Love the new blog! We had to laugh, because Kate's and my swimming abilities are just about the same as yours!
    Kim :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim! I enjoyed reading your first blog post and am looking forward to keeping up with all your new experiences and adventures!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim! I found your blog via Facebook. Love reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete