Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Climb Every Mount Yonah~

Today I feel as though my attention span was on a short-circuit. I logged on to the computer multiple times in order to take a break from my painting, but never actually managed to accomplish any great tasks. The bedroom set I'm working on right now should be ready to assemble by Saturday, but its taken the two last days' worth of my attention and I think the paint fumes have killed off most of my remaining "leetle grey cells". (for the benefit of all my Poirot loving friends!)
This is me after a morning of sanding and puttying in the warm Georgia sun. I correct myself, the 100 degree 100% humidity of Georgia's June weather. I was cooked! I sanded and cleaned the tall dresser, oversize nightstand and bedframe yesterday morning.
And this is the same nightstand, with a single coat of oil base Benjamin Moore paint!
This is my project for week #1 of Florida Phase. Yeah, I know I'm not going to Ranger School. But, a friend told me that she could always count on me to know the schedule. Apparently at one of our first "army wives" meetings I was all indignant about the printed schedule for IBOLC not being accurate and she remembered it. I have to admit that I do pour over the Ranger School schedule. I'm a Rabbit,"No,no,no...we have to go according to shed-yool!"
Friday, June 25th was an auspicious day. The last day of Mountain Phase, all day us girls waited to hear from our soldiers. There were only two options-I passed, now for Florida and see you in 21 days OR They recycled me and I'm going to have to repeat that torturous mess all over again and not see you for 50 more days! Not something you want to hear.
One of the Ranger Instructors at Camp Merrill told me he "thought I saw his name on the recycle list." when I asked about Lou. That's a story in and of itself, for a later time. Fortunately Lou was able to call me at 5 that night and tell me that YES, he had finished and passed and was on his way to Florida for Swamp Phase! God is so very good! I did have the urge to go sock the RI in the nose for passing out false information, however. I think I was developing an ulcer between the time of the mis-information and Lou's call!
(postmarked June 11, but probably written on Wednesday, June 9th) Hey Baby.We did lowers for the last 2 days, now we are doing uppers at Mount Yonah at Cleveland, GA. This is the mountain of Yonah- located in the Chatahoochee National Forest in northeastern Georgia.
 We got a horrible motivational speech and then we did a climb to the top in full gear, it was the most smoked I've been so far. The mountains will humble you fast. Then we did all sorts of pulley systems to evacuate a casualty off a really steep hill. Hopefully I'll survive but pulling a dude up a crazy hill with a ruck and weapon just about broke me off. It was so steep we just about had to climb.
Now I know why they feed us. We are gonna be refugees when we get out! We'll do all our rock climbing tomorrow, having a lot of fun. Hopefully the mountain won't be the end of us...teehee teehee. I'm sitting at the top of Mount Yonah and it is so awesome!!! This is another angle shot of Mount Yonah.

We just did our climb up the cliff face. So cool, you're on a cliff 1400 or so feet up slipping on rocks and getting yelled at. The view is crazy but then your legs start shaking and then you got nothing to hold on to, where do you go? 
 Tee hee! I'm like Spiderman up this hill. Oh Baby, I just did lead climb up a near vertical rock face. These people are nuts! It was so fun and so crazy. Lead climbing means you climb without a rope holding you up. You drag the rope up for the other guys. It was nuts like if I fell, but you never think about it or you'll freeze. S_____ and I did it all the way up about 90 ft up the face of Yonah. AHHHHHHH!!! 
(later on) 
The climb in the morning was crazy. We had 45 minutes to do 1.8 miles to the top. I made it in 41 and just about died. You would get a major minus (very bad, they have their own kick you out of Ranger school scoring system) if you didn't. I'm very pleased with this place, its so beautiful and the view is to die for. I'm just glad he didn't! We will definitely have a house on a top of a hill! I love it! It was so funny, all I could think about was coming up here with you and do some camping.We could climb up, bring some food and spend some quality time with a view. Well, we'll see if I'm still thinking that after mountain phase, then again. In spite of the beauty of those mountains, I have a feeling that not many Ranger students return there for picnics after graduation! They are beautiful, though. :) ___ Keeps talking about going on a cruise. I must admit it would be awesome and well deserved. Think about what you'd like to do. I have to admit, this Ranger School has its perks. It gets a man who normally is NOT a beach, sand, or cruise fan thinking about taking vacations-lots of them! We just have to make sure the place has funnel cakes, that's all I ask. :) We are about to head up to the church service on top of the mountain. (I'm guessing this is where they hold the chapel services on the mountain top, but I'm not 100% sure)
(later on)
Just got back. Very good service. He talked about the prodigal son and how he came back to his father and when will you come back to the Father? When will you let him cover over your dirty rags and so on. He also talked about Johnathan and his armor bearer trusting in God and killing the enemy. Good stuff. You know, I thought these guys would all be heathens, but there are no atheists in foxholes. Rangers are close to the fight and surprisingly religious. Not all, but the conversations and jokes are a lot better than I-BOLC. Plus they are hungry and tired and the only thing they think about is: food, sleep and graduating. Anyway, it was a lovely service and its really good to see the guys get some religion. We sang some songs and I was singing the loudest, lol. That is funny, because although Lou has a nice voice, he's not a big singer. Unlike his wife, who sings while driving/showering/cooking/and pretty much everywhere else. :) Lots of mumbling. But that's ok, at least they were singing. I really miss church and doing devotions with you. I know I didn't do them as regular as I should have but you really don't know what you have until its gone! This place is great for learning about yourself. You learn your fears and your limits. What you do under pressure with no sleep or food. The biggest thing is it gets you out of your comfort zone. All my love!!! 
And all my love and prayers to my best boy, Lou. Can't wait to have him home again! I'm so proud of him, he just kept plugging away during the following two weeks' worth of field training exercises. They were the hardest thing on his system, lasting 5 days each and consisting of missions day and night, little to no sleep and up/down mountains all the way. What a blessing to find out he passed Mountain Phase! We were able to talk on the phone for 8 minutes and I thought about how strange it is that I'm so excited over 8 minutes of phone conversation. Then again, it was our FIRST phone call since MAY 16, 2010! Life is full of little (big) pleasures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment